Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Write it Down!

I am still old school. I have a "paper" day planner, still. I believe I got it a long time ago, because it had a copy of the Magna Carta in one of the pockets.:) Just kidding. I have a Blackberry as well but feel a little uneasy when I am untethered from my paper day planner. Sorta like Linus and his blanket. I use and have used the planner for several years of my professional life. Its helped me keep appointments, plan for the coming week or month and help me remember key dates (Anniversary, Dedra,Noah, and Chloe's birthdays!) OK, I remember them dates pretty well, but have a bunch more that its important to remember. The paper planner helps me. It just doesnt buzz, ring or chime me when an appointment is nigh. I like my planner. I draw security from it.

However, I heard a message from Pastor Chris Stephens after Christmas during a Men's Breakfast at Faith Promise that smacked me upside my big noggin (those that know me, know that its a big noggin). I have been on my journey following Christ for 20 years. I had read the Bible, sermons, Bible studies, and other Christian literature on the life of Him who gave everything for me. The very thing that I ask others to do and also myself to do, in my professional life, to achieve a goal, I had not done for my Christian walk. I didn't have a written plan! I had never bothered or took the time to plan what I was going to study about the coming year concerning Jesus. I never had a cogent,written plan that I could review to show me progress on memorizing scripture, content of my Bible studies, how many people I was going to reach out to this year, what charitable community efforts was I going to help with, and how I was going to lead my family spiritually, financially,and emotionally. Me, an engineer, who loves detail, makes his living by developing plans, didnt have a written plan for the most important thing in my life!

I believe at the core of my inadequacy at writing something down, was fear. Fear of failure, fear of commitment, fear of stepping out of my comfort zone. Bottom line, was that I didn't trust God to get me there. If I didnt write something down, I always had an excuse. I couldn't fail, because there was nothing to fail from. I hadnt given full trust to follow Him in this relationship.

So, at the beginning of the year, I wrote down my plan. I wrote my goals down of what I wanted to do to grow closer to Him. I wrote down what Bible reading plan I was going to do. I committed. Full on. I can say that it has taken another step of discipline that He has allowed me to have. I can say it has to be intentional or it wont happen. But, it has been truly rewarding. I am journaling my prayers, my words from God, His guidance, His Word, prayer items and people I am praying for.

Part of this process, is this thing that He has impressed upon me in the past few years. This blog and my notes are a venue for me to express His blessings on me and telling others where I have found bread. Because, at the end of the day, that's what this is about. We are beggars telling other beggars where to find bread.

I want to tell you I have journaled every day, I have accomplished every goal so far that was set before me. But I havent. The memorization of scripture is still tough for me. I can remember the scripture pretty good, but cant give you the exact chapter and verse. When I try to do that, I have in mind Don Lee. When he preached, the Bible just floated off the page from his lips with nary a note left out! WOW! Truly amazing gift from God.

I encourage you if you havent started a written plan, do so now. Its been a treat for me. I have found bread there.

danl

1 comment:

  1. I love the "we are beggers telling other beggers where to find bread."
    Glad you got the blog up and running...
    all my love
    D

    ReplyDelete