Total Pageviews

Friday, March 4, 2011

I like definitions, do you?

Thankful:
"a positive emotion or attitude in acknowledgment of a benefit that one has received or will receive."

When I saw this definition of thankful, it reaffirmed why the title for this blog was chosen. Thankful for me is on many levels. I have received many benefits in my life. I was born to wonderful unconditionally loving parents from the greatest generation. They taught me love, hard work, positive outlooks, determination and ambition. They taught me family. They taught me how to dream and where to look for them. I was surrounded by brothers and sister who made sure I knew about life, had a basketball, bicycle, books and appreciation for what life brings and the beauty that is in everyday living. I am thankful to have found a wife who taught me how to be honest with myself and love another person without reservations. She has taught me trust, determination and how pure a heart can be. Man, am I thankful for her. I am constantly amazed that she said yes to my marriage proposal. (OK, I did twist her arm and have her in a headlock :)) I have two wonderful children. I often tell them, they are much more wonderful people they are than I was when I was their age. They both have beautiful, giving hearts that show the true joy of what God meant when He made us. Their optimism is contagious as well as their surety of the goodness of people. I am thankful for them as they teach me everyday.

The above definition has a pretty cool before and after statement of what one has received and what one will receive. You see, by grace I am saved through faith. It is a gift from God, not anything that I have done or can do. Its a gift, a benefit! That means everything to me. What I have received and what I will receive. In this life, I have received eternal life. A relationship with Him. After this time is over, I will spend eternity with Him. That's the benefit to be received. This is the ultimate benefit. How wonderful and loving He is to give us this benefit. One songwriter put it this way, "if grace is an ocean, then we're all sinking". Wow! So much love and gifts that we would literally drown if it were a physical manifestation of His love! WOW!

Thankful: a positive emotion or attitude in acknowledgment of a benefit that one has received or will receive. I encourage you to speak this today to those around you. Encourage someone today and let them know how thankful you are for them.

What are you thankful for today?

1 comment:

  1. I'm Thankful for You and your words that help remind me of all the blessings I have.
    Love you,
    Ronn

    ReplyDelete